TR4 cylinder head replacement, Figure 8 gasket movement

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 cylinder head replacement, Figure 8 gasket movement
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:00:21 -0400
Folks,

I've watched this thread now for several days, my fingers itching to peck at
the keyboard.  I finally got a few seconds, so here goes:

If you have a typical TR2/3/4 engine (head's not been off in years) then the
chance of you disturbing the figure 8 gaskets is nill.  Face it, you're going
to have to use a BF hammer to beat the liners out!  I've ripped apart many an
engine and I have yet to have a liner come loose without some overt physical
effort.

The manuals that warn you about the liners coming loose were dealing with
fairly new cars with clean engine internals, not ones that have had 30+ years
to build up corrosion.  Sure, I use a tool I made to hold the liners in place
when I rebuild an engine, but never when taking a head off an old engine.

I'm with Dave Garron.  Don't worry, be happy.

Bruce Clough