Re: Spit MK3 1970 Specs

To: Francois Demont <100304.2046@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Spit MK3 1970 Specs
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:26:44 +0400 (EDT)
On 28 Aug 1996, Francois Demont wrote:

> All Spitfire MK3 in France (and I think mother country UK) had the same wheel
> covers, the simple chromed one from the Herald. (3.5" wheels, white,  or
> 4.5",wheels, metal grey, since 1970). Same wheel covers on the whole MK1/2/3
> range.
> In fact I think nearly all US models, Spit/GT6 from MK1, had different badging
> and wheel covers... That we never had here in Europe.

I think that's probably true, and it's probably due to marketing
decisions by Standard-Triumph USA, who apparently felt it necessary to
dress up cars for the American market.

Further examples of that: Most or all Heralds sold in the U.S., even the
original 948 series, had the white rubber bumpers. Similarly, most or all
Heralds sold in the U.S. were equipped with temperature gauges. An
interesting deviation from that "upgrading," though, is the fact that
many Heralds in the U.S., circa 1962-63, were equipped NOT with carpeted
floors but rubber mats throughout! I don't know how that correlates with
British- or Continental-specification Heralds. And, of course probably
due to strange lighting standards, U.S. Heralds usually did NOT have
amber rear flashers.

--Andy

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant