Re: New Member

To: ckent@ids.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Member
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 08:37:39 -0700
At  9:36 AM 8/24/96 -0500, ckent@ids.net wrote:
>        Im new to the list and the triumph world.  I just bought a TR 250
>in good shape from what I can tell. (Im still looking for a problem or two)
>The only thing I need to do to get it on the road is chase down a few wire
>problems; the head lights going out periodically and when I step on the
>high beams,

The most common problem is corroded connectors.  You might want to clean up
the connectors at the foor switch & along the pathway.

> and the overdrive making a clicking noise from within the
>center dash area or not engauging.

That clicking from behind the dash may be the relay.  Pull the transmision
tounnel and look at the solenoid.  With the transmission in any gear except
first or reverse, try the overdrive switch and see if the arm attached to
the solenoid moves.  If not connect a voltmeter or continuity light between
the wire going to the solenoid and ground to see if there is voltage.  If
not go through the wires between the relay and the solenoid.  If there is
voltage, the rod in the soenoid may just need cleaning.  Take the solenoid
off, remove the rod and clean things up a bit then give it another try.  If
the arm moves OK but the OD is not engaging your problem is within the
overdrive.  I would try cleaning the screens first and making sure the
transmision fluids are topped off.

>        Im looking for an online (preferably) or mail source for used
>parts.  I need to get a set of wheels and tires.  For some reason mine has
>14" rims.

Your best bet is to wait for Moss or The Roadster Factory to have a major
sale and pick up a set of Dayton wheels.  Be sure to check the splines for
wear.  You may have 14 inch wheels because the 15's wore out and a used set
of 14's could be purchased used from an old MG.  The splines may be worn
out too.  Clean them up & take a look at them.  The splines should look the
same inside to the outside.  There should be a narrow flat area along the
top of each of the splines running the entire length of the spline.  When
in doubt assume its a good idea to get new splines whenever you need to get
new wheels.

>        Thanks to Streve Yarrows for online help when buying the car.
>
>chris
>
>http://users.ids.net/~ckent/tshirt.html-----------BMW List T-shirt
>http://users.ids.net/~ckent/2002parts.html--------2002 parts for sale

Good luck with your new 250!