More-Spit Blower

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More-Spit Blower
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 96 08:36:00 PDT
Encoding: 25 TEXT
Okay, took a good long look at the blower yesterday.  It's only about a foot
long but it has a fairly long nose piece (about 6 to 8 inches - 15 to 20 cm
for you folks across the pond) and about a 3 to 4 inch diameter pully with a
tensioner pully mounted on a side bracket.  It is aluminum, and the two
"vanes" inside are of the rotating, constant mesh four lobe type.  If you
were to disassemble the thing and look at one of the two rotors from the end
of the unit, it would look like a four leaf clover.  The "sucking" side of
the unit has a short bolt on manifold that accepts a single side draft carb
and it appears to be just about right for a 1.5 inch single SU carb.  The
"pushing" side of the unit bolts to a two branch manifold which has siamesed
intake ports, ala the Herald/Spit 1147 cc motor (and no doubt several other
small LBC motors of which I am not familiar).  It was painted mint green at
one point, but the paint has almost completely flaked/chipped away.

My neighbor thinks it is a "Roots" blower (he has about 3 other types in his
attic  -  calm down you guys, they're for American V-8s), but perhaps
Allison or some other company made this thing.  All I know is that I AM
going to put it on the Spit, somehow, someway.  Gawd this is gonna be so
much fun!!!!!

Thanks to all for your help.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)