Roadtrip with Spitfire

Subject: Roadtrip with Spitfire
From: "M. Schwemmle" <markus@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:39:51 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everybody!

        First of all: I'M BACK in Seattle. So is my 75 Spitfire.

I had 6 weeks of fun and adventures with it and after 15000 miles I
learned a lot about tell tale signs and emergency repairs. And I know now
about how fast my car can corner... :)

Here is a short excerpt out of my road book:

- After I left Seattle the engine was already getting hot (it had
unbelievable 102 degrees that day). You should know, that I added an oil
cooler and an additional electric fan.

- I was heading down the Washington and Oregon Coast on Hiwy 101 and 1 and
it was great! My new leaf spring in the rear and the new bushings were
worth it! Plus, the weather on the coast kept the engine cool.

- On the fifth curve of Hiwy 1, my Gas Cap went 'over board' and went down
a ravine. I found it in a little river after a 2 hour hike...

- From San Francisco, I went to Lake Tahoe for the 4th of July. Shortly
after SF, the engine was overheating. I had to wait after sunset to
continue to LT.

- Back in SF I had the radiator roded out which finally helped at least a
little.

- After a visit of MOSS MOTORS in Goleta, CA I used water wetter to make
my cooling system even more efficient...

- ...which actually didn't help me much when I went to Joshua Tree
National Park to see the desert and to visit my uncle there.

- At his place I took out the water pump (just to check because I couldn't
think of any other reasons for the hot engine). As I didn't have a
thermometer I decided to ignore the temp gauge which just had high
readings anyway but never actually touched the 'hot bar'...
It should be even worse later...

- On the way down to San Diego I met lots of interesting people and so
many mechanics who were once working on race cars and gave me advice on
early ignition and rich mixture to keep the engine cool... The car
actually worked at its best with the regular settings...

- In Tuscon Arizona I tried to find a replacement for my fuse box that
melted away (it was like that already when I bought the car... too bad
that I couldn't get one at MOSS...)

- Other things I saw and enjoyed: Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce,
Arches, Canyonland, Dead Horse Point...
It's great with a british convertible!!!
By the way: I met and bonded with Fiat X1/9 driver who also was on a
roadtrip but did it the other way round... Hope he makes it back to
Seattle next week. So imagine: Two sports cars a red and a green one speed
through the desert... get used to turning heads!

- After I left Salt Lake City last Sunday: The car broke down: The
alternator quit his duty. Then imagine this: I was able to track down an
alternator in Idaho Falls, Idaho for a 75 Spit!!! The guy of the autoparts
store was also surprised...

- Well and finally I made it back. I can tell you  that is a feeling of
pride and 'triumph' after you've been on a roadtrip in a car that you
fixed and
maintained yourself. I remember that it barely ran when I bought it, the
brakes didn't work, the clutch was worn the suspension was all bad... But
I love that car. It gave me a lot to do on the trip and I learned a lot
but it was so much fun and just special. Not comparable with a trip in a
'jelly bean'...

        you all have fun with your cars...

Markus