Re: Leland and Brit. Crankshaft Question...

To: Ralph Jannelli <rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: Leland and Brit. Crankshaft Question...
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 18:29:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ralph Jannelli wrote:

> One thing I was told years ago tho was that some shops are not use to
> handling the small size of the Brit 4 cyl. cranks and may not leave the
> proper radius at the end of the cut. If it is cut too square it could weaken
> the crank. Don't mean to make you nervous but just thought I would mention it.

The flip side of this, of course, is that many shops have a tendency to
grind that fillet to a radius suitable for larger engines, which is too
large.  When this is done, the edges of properly sized bearings will
pinch on the radius and lock up the crank when all is torqued.  I'd guess
this happens as or more often than too small a radius, since the outside
edges of the wheel must be dressed to the smaller radius for the smaller
crank, and dressed again for larger cranks.  And, it's a bit of a pain to
do, so some shops just skip that step.
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....