Re: Restore?

To: libertyc@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Restore?
From: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 13:16:38 -0500
Hey Carl,

>Michael - What is Restore?  And please explain something else... You had
>good compression, but had bad leakdown.  How do you know it was not the
>valves leaking?

Restore is a 'wonder-product' that most parts stores carry - and it comes in
a version for the engine, one for the radiator, and something else (probably
transmission). Supposedly (I only got this recommended a few days ago) it
will be able to loose up gummed-up pistons rings, and there is a money back
guarantee if your compression does not increase within 500 miles - so
hopefully there is something to it.

I had the whole head redone in the spring, and among other things, new
valves and valve guides put in - so it was a possibility that the guy had
messed up then (this was a different mechanic than the one I use now). I
didn't do the leak-down test myself (and don't know too much about it -
except for the fact that it will tell you how long the pressured is
sustained - or something to that effect) - but supposedly one can tell from
the leak down test whether it is valves, or 'other stuff' (=pistons/piston
rings) - and if there had been the slightest hint that it was the valves it
would have gone straight back under repair warranty to the other guy.

Sorry I can't be of more help - maybe somebody else on the list has
experience with Restore - or know more about the chemical compounds - and
can enlighten both of us ;-)

Michael

GT6 Mk. 2 1969 (Red w/1972 GT6 engine - and black targa-top)
GT6 Mk. 3 1971 (White - w/TR250 engine)
....not responsible for any of these changes...
....the DPO did it....hmmmm.....