TR6 Fuel Injection (again)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Fuel Injection (again)
From: summa@roadrunner.com (Deb Summa/Jim TenCate)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:20:14 -0600
Sorry this message seems to be lagging most of the other postings but I've
had an idea for some time now and I'm wondering what you all think.

Here in the Albuquerque area, you can snag a complete, used Alfa GTV Bosch
L-Jetronic system for about $300 if you're willing to pull it out yourself
(that was a year ago actually).  The GTV is 2.5 litres so you'd expect the
stock Alfa FI setup to be fairly good for the TR6 although the two engines
breath differently at low and high RPMs.  It isn't a Motronic system (no
spark control) and your tweaking ability is limited but hey, I've managed
to tweak the FI on my TR8 a bit and besides, there's LOTS of leeway built
into the Bosch system for things like hotter cams, etc. (I've read about
*stock* TR8 FI systems/ECUs working just fine at 190 bhp).  Seems to me
we've got a bolt-on FI system which oughta work for pretty cheap.

So, the only problem in adapting the Alfa/Bosch FI to the TR6 is plumbing
the fuel pump and fuel lines for 35 psi (probably not too hard) AND sorting
out a proper intake manifold/air box for 6 injectors.  Wonder if the Weber
manifolds could be adapted?

If I had some time, I'd try it on MY 6 but it's still in Austin and I've
got a BMW and a TR8 that need attention HERE :-)  Maybe I should take the
FI out of the BMW (2.5 litre 6!) and figure out a way to adapt a motronic
distributor to the TR6 :-)

Jim TenCate, 80 FI TR8, 74 TR6