Spit rear springs/rear axles

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit rear springs/rear axles
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:14:03 -0400
Hi all,

I've been watching the responses to the inquiry about installing a late ('73-
) spring on an early Spit. Yes, the axles on the later models are an inch
longer than earlier models. And yes, the spring is longer also.

My question is, has anybody actually done this conversion? With the longer
spring, doesn't that push the top of the vertical link out further than was
designed? Or, does the inherent negative camber become a self-correcting
factor?

The reason I ask is that we've got a club member with a '65 Spit that's
always had positive camber . . . first one I've ever seen. After listening to
the recent strings on the list my mind started adding 2 + 2. Could his DPO
have done this conversion before our member bought the car?

I'm strictly a 1500 kind of guy and I'm kind of curious. Has anyone with an
early Spit actually converted to a longer, later model spring? Were
modifications necessary?

Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register