Crankshaft turning to set timing

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crankshaft turning to set timing
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 0:01:42 -24000
I finally got the SU's set up to begin tuning, and started up the Spit.
Judging by the amount of wonderful noise coming from the Ansa's, I:
a) don't need no steenkin' megawatt stereo for bass I can feel, and;
b) will be a future contestant for the Concours 'd Alarm.

However, the engine started getting HOT really quick, and I heard some
popping back thru the carbs before the engine basically died.  [why couldn't
I have one of those "I changed the oil and it started right up" experiences?]

Anyway, I'm installing a new thermostat tomorrow.

My questions:

I'm going to follow the net advice and set the valve clearances before
further tuning, but how am I going to turn the 1 3/4 inch pulley nut for
advancing the engine?  Will a large socket fit, or should I get a large
wrench?

I have dual SU HS2's on a '79 low-compression engine, installed but not set
up or tuned by the previous owner.  I imagine the stock timing settings won't
work.  Any idea what I should shoot for in setting the timing statically
prior to startup?  Also, if you can describe the procedure I'd appreciate it;
I've never done a static setup before.

Thanks in advance for answers,

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire (w/'79 engine) who next gets to remove the diff and replace all
the seals leaking oil onto the exhaust pipe.