Re: Spit MkIV, Mid-Missouri Farmers...

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: Re: Spit MkIV, Mid-Missouri Farmers...
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:16:17 -0500
>hi to the list, i'm new here, wanted to say hi, and compliment all of you
>on the overall high info ratio for such a busy list. i'm a farmer in
>central missouri, musician, computer addict, and wistful former triumph
>owner. got hooked in the mid-seventies on a 74 spit (and remember the

Welcome! I have lived on small farms in eastern and western Missouri, near
Garden City on the west and New Haven on the east. My goal is to own
about 100 acres in south-central Missouri (Willow Springs area). I'm also
a musician - I play 5-string banjo (and yes, I *DO* consider that music).

<SNIP>

>... it's not the same, i know. but the old twin-carb 240's reek
>very strongly of GT6's to me, (7 grand redline? IRS? 30 MPG or 130 mph?
>beats the hell outta an Escort <G>) and there's a tremendous supply of
>stuff in stock at my podunk parts counters very reasonably ($28 water
>pumps IN STOCK!).

You're right, IT'S NOT THE SAME!!! The Z cars have always been a bit too
much on the beefy side. The GT6 was a nimble, light touch kind of car.
And parts shouldn't be too much of a problem for you - VB is only a hundred
miles away!

<SNIP>

>... he's saying it's a 74, can you
>guys help me out, i haven't perused all my triumph bookmarks yet, isn't MK
>IV 71-72 only? maybe i'd better check the VIN numbers before this gets too
>far.

Right, if it's a '74 it's a 1500.  Check the number on the engine block, too.
It should start with FK. Remember that the 1300 is considered by many to
be a superior engine to the 1500.

<SNIP>

>too many old cars/potential projects stuffed in my barns now.

I can identify with that!

Nice .sig, except I with folks would include their email address in their
.sigs, since VMS mail doesn't include headers...

Thanks!

Larry
lesnyd@monsanto.com