Re: TR6 - Diff. mount cracked

To: rolson@faa.gov
Subject: Re: TR6 - Diff. mount cracked
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Tue, 7 May 09:51:35 1996
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I removed the diff. on the '72 '6 last night and discovered the "Dreaded
>Cracked Front mounting"  Clean crack, not separated, yet.  Should I do like
>the TRF blue spare parts book (p201) technical note says and just "weld
>the crack" or is it advisable to renforce the mount with the 'boxing' kit?
>Car is daily driver (or will be soon!), no heavy slalom or races planned.

Buy the TRF plates, its 4 trapezoidal pieces with holes.  These mounts
crack on street cars, do it right and you won't be back...  Fireproof
the brake and fuel lines prior to "arc'ing" it.  Plates fit and make
this an easy job.  My welding cost a 6-pack.

My guess is its 100X the strength of the original.  I always replace
pinion seal, 6 U-joints, slip joint boots, and diff donuts.  I've
never had to revisit the ones I've done this way...

FYI,
 Put poly bushings in the rear - amazing, eliminated all throttle steer,
 raised rear 1".  The old ones looked perfect...  Grease the pivot bolt!
 New shock links helped too!

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com, (512) 794-9567, FAX 345-2879