Re: tr-6 transmission rebuild

To: wsachse@ncinter.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr-6 transmission rebuild
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 08:12:45 -0400

> I was able to cut it off without nicking the shaft.  If you
>get to this point and can't get the brng loose find a friend to cut it off
>rather than risk damage to the shaft or possibly the case itself from
>pounding on everything.  The other torch trick I commited to early on was
>to cut the snap-rings instead of trying to save them.  The books call for a
>special tool for removal and install but taking them off is worse than
>re-installing them.  Cut the ring - it's much easier.

Just one thing -- take it easy with the heat.  Nearly EVERYTHING in there is
heat treated in some way (i.e. case hardened, through hardened, or tempered)
and too much heat will destroy the condition of the metal.  Most parts will
seem fine (other than springs) , but may have greatly shortened lives.
 Softened metal that wears quickly will put particles into the lubricant
which will eat other parts as well.  Weakened parts which break may take
others with them too.

-Karl (kinda burned out myself) Vacek