Re: Triumph GT6+ hardtop? T-top?

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Triumph GT6+ hardtop? T-top?
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 95 20:34:30 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>My GT6+ also has a racing background and therefore there is roll-bar
>installed - but how successful were these GT6's in racing? And was it ever
>anything but factory sponsored races?
Michael,
 The thought of a T-top has crossed my mind many times over the past, say
five years.
 Lots of research, but little action.
 Seems to me that if there is no vibration with the T out, and the
addition of a roll bar, you should be in good condition.
 I would think that if the roll bar is welded in, Denmark should be quite
happy with the car. Of course, I am no expert on Danish MV laws, but what
the hey.
it. Of the four GT6's that I have, only one has a pedigree, four years
running SCCA events, class F Sportsman. Last year was 1974, which ended
midseason with a wipe out at Long Beach. Previous year, first place
winner La Guna Seca . Lots of other info for earlier years.
I restored this particular car (1968) and use it as a daily driver and
the occassional show after a couple days of cleaning and waxing.
 Most races GT6s participated in were other than Factory sponsored since
most factory research on these cars ended in 1967.
 The GT6 was originally designed by Michelotti, and built in Turin Italy 1964
on the Spitfire. Addition of top proved to be too heavy. Early 1966, the
Vitesse was undergoing changes which became ideal for the Michelotti
design without a lot of modification.
 Mark 1 was built until late 1968. Addition ofthe same engine as the
non-imported TR5 (different cam and valves) became the GT6+ or the Mark II.
 Good to hear from a fellow Texas 6er.
Tony R.
66,67,68,69GT6
64TR4 oops