Clutch Solution?

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Clutch Solution?
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo V. Kral)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 08:18:10 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Hello Phil,
   I don't know if you got my previous message,  but your experiences and the
fixes you have tried are EXACTLY like what has happened to me.  So far,  I have
replaced all of the parts in the mechanical linkage to get rid of ovalled
holes,  worn pins,  etc.  I replaced all of the parts in the bell housing
including the taper pin, the cross shaft,  bushings.

   Because of this, I know the cause/solution will be one of three things:
(1)  a worn master cylinder (the slave cyl. isn't leaking)
(2)  a problem inherent to aftermarket clutches (unlikely).
If the problem isn't solved by fixing (1),  I'm going to try the next-to-last
resort:
(3) replacing the master cylinder with a .75" bore master cylinder.

   I still believe that the Triumph engineers (I hope this isn't naive) can't
have designed the clutch to work this way.  I have worked on solving this
problem for so long that it has almost become an obsession.  I probably need to
get professional help (psychiatric and/or mechanical).

Please let me know if you have discovered anything that might be of help.

Thanks,
Milo Kral
Applied and Engineering Sciences
Vanderbilt University