TR-6 Fuel Tank Foam Strips

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-6 Fuel Tank Foam Strips
From: classic@interserv.com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 05:38:45 -0700
This is another I went too far story.

I am the worst detail stickler I know. I was trying to find the correct density
and thickness foam material to duplicate the foam strips on the rear of late
model TR-6 gas tanks. (the ones that keep the tank and rear trunk cardboard
from
rattling). I did not want to get incorrect material thickness (make the
cardboard bulge or else not sufficiently fill the gap - although neither
alternative would have been catastrophic).

Anyway I wnt to a local foam manufacturer and by the time I left, I not only
had
found the right color, density and foam thickness, I had commisioned him to
make
cutting dies for the pieces. (I couldn't have the pieces looking crooked even
thouth they don't show, you see).

I now am the proud owner of 200 sets of these strips. (you need 2 - a long and
 short piece). I figure I have enough for 100 lifetimes of these things. If
anyone out there is anywhere as crazy as I am, I am selling them for 6.00 for
the set and 3.50 for shipping. For what its worth they came out perfect.

I don't know when the cutoff from fiber to foam strips took place, but these
are
 foam. (If any one out there knows the cut off please tell me.) I know these
are
more expensive than you can make them yourself, but you progably have to buy a
bigger piece than you need which might even make these cheaper.

If I can get rid of these, I'll tell you about my unobtainable grommet story.

Well - my wife said I was crazy ...