Starting Spit Questi...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Starting Spit Questi...
From: tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 1995 23:28:09 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Well, it's come down to the point on the Spit where I'm actually attempting
to get it started. Everythings in, including the Crane elec. ignition kit,
which was ridiculously easy to install! Car in question is a 67, with a 74
1500 engin, before mentioned elc. kit, generator, and conversion to neg.
earth, and dual SU's. The coil is a Lucal "Super" coil, no ballast
resistor.

1.I'm getting spark, a pretty healthy spark, and I've set timing up
statically fairly close to 10 BTDC...correct?

2.I'm getting gas. Probably too much as the plugs seem to be getting too
wet. I've followed the basic setup for getting the carbs close, but I think
my problem lays here. Any good advice for setting up twin SU's for the
first time, to at least get them in close operating condition?

3.Do I need a different coil to use with this elec. ignition? It seems like
the coil makes a click sound when I turn off the key. Do I need one that's
deisgned to work with elec.igntion?

How can you tell if you've done the positive to negative ground conversion
properly? I followed the advice in the archives, but I seem to be having
problems with lights going out, tail lights, front parking lights and brake
lights and didn't know if the conversion had something to do with that or
just the evil spirits of Lucas (more likely?).

I think that's it for now, any and all advice extremely appreciated! I want
to get this thing started in the next day or so.

"Who are You?"
"I'm fine thanks, who are you?"
"I'm fine too, but you no get in without the password"