Re: clutches

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutches
From: Richard Endersby <Richard@riggins.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 08:08:45 GMT
In your message dated Thursday 5, October 1995 Phil wrote :

> That's right, Rich.  The bent backplate is caused by forcing the gearbox back
in using bolts rather than doing the

[snip]

> be gentle when you refit the box.  Never force it.  Check your clutch is
centred properly (using an old input shaft,
> if poss) and that the brass bush in the end of the crankshaft is OK.  Then
once you've got the splines aligned it
> should go straight in providing you keep the box square on to the flywheel.
And try not to let the weight of the
> box be carried by the input shaft.

I found that by jacking the rear of the engine (carefull where you place the
jack) up around 2-3 ins it made replacing the gearbox a great deal easier.
Check that there's nothing at the front of/under the engine which will snag
before and during the jacking process.

> See you Sunday.  No replies re Duxford so no other netters (nutters) are
coming, I assume.

I hope to be coming, but I have a prior appointment with a MIG welder, a 1969
VW camper van and 100 worth of panels!

[snip]

--
Richard Endersby