Metal particles in oil: likely source?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Metal particles in oil: likely source?
From: "John Laidler" <johnl@zeta.org.au>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 1995 22:31:59 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <johnl@godzilla.zeta.org.au>
Today I changed the oil in my wife's Dolomite 1850, and was
surprised to see quite a collection of metal 'dust' on the magnetic
sump plug. (This plug is a little after-market upgrade I got from
Chris Witor: basically, it adds a small magnet to the center of the
sump plug which collects metal particles, thus taking them out of
circulation in the engine.)

Since I haven't noticed such an abundant crop during previous oil
changes, I'm wondering where this is coming from. The salient point
is that this is the first oil change after a cylinder head overhaul
earlier this year, involving new valves, valve guides, springs, etc.
Could these contribute to the production of this stuff? Otherwise, any
suggestions as to the source? Bearings? Pistons?

John Laidler
(1972 2.5 PI, 1976 Dolomite 1850)