HIF 44 on a Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: HIF 44 on a Spitfire
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:37:07 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Hello yet again,

Just thought I'd ask a silly question, but to start with, I'll set the scene.

A couple of days ago, I was round a friends house when I noticed his brother
changing the engine in his mini for one from a MG Metro Turbo(Do you lot over
the pond know what there are, I know I haven't a clue when you talk about some
of 'your' home cars).  Anyway, I noticed the engine is fed by a single SU HIF
44 carb, and the turbo unit is quite small, So......If a manifold could be
found to accomodate this carb, wouldn't it be possible to Turbocharge my ol'
MK IV Spitty.  I wouldn't really expect AC Cobra type performance, but having
the ability to overtake long lorries without having to wait for a clear 3 mile
straight stretch of road would be nice, I'd like the sound of the whine aswell.
Anyway(I tend to say(write) 'anyway' quite alot really), if anyone has any
ideas I would appreciate it, TIA.

Rich.
Northampton
England.