Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo Engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo Engine
From: gdowling@csfp.co.uk (Greg Dowling) "Re: Spitfire MkIII with Toledo Engine" (Aug 23, 9:31)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 95 10:53:00 BST
Hi Rich and Andy

On Aug 23,  9:31, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:

> I'm gonna write:-
>
> I may be wrong, please say if I am, but apart from the recessed block and the
> bigger bearings on the crank, I thought the main(power increasing) difference
> between the Mk 3 and MK IV engines were a hotter cam and bigger valves in the
> MK 3 engine. I think early MK IV's had the bigger valves though.  As I said
> though, I ain't perfect(I once bought a Citroen), so I could be wrong.
>-- End of excerpt from Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570

I think I read the same thing, I think there was a piece written by Richard
Thomson in the TSSC magazine (The Courier - worth joining just for this - back
issues available!). I think there were some small differences (bearings on the
crank?, different cams, etc), but I got the impression that it was the change
in the way of measuring power (SEA to DIN?) that accounted for quite a bit of
the difference.

There is something about the MkIII engine that makes it better for modification
though, the guy who will be doing the work on my engine has built some cars for
racing, and they always start with a MkIII engine, before SERIOUS work starts.
He told me why - but I can't remember.

On Aug 22, 18:16, Andy Gascoigne wrote:
> If you're going to have 'the works' done I'd forget a MKIV and stretch to
> getting a 'real' Mk3 engine - John Hill's had some 'to order' a while back
> (Rimmers just did MkIV & 1500's) and Triumphtune could always make your
dreams
> come true ;-)
>
> ...other than that try a 1500 unit (but then to get the best out of it you
> should fit the gearbox, the diff & nearly everything else - should zing along
> though

To be honest I hope not to have to replace the engine, but I don't mind
changing the cam etc if it makes sense. Also I have fitted the TSSC sports
manifold / exhaust - and I want to keep them. I'd also like to keep it
'original' enough not to damage the insurance, (can be expensive in the UK for
those that don't already know - especially for 'modified' cars - the
manifold/exhaust doesn't count because the TSSC made an arrangement with the
club insurance company)

> PS - The TSSC is on the web - URL http://www.octacon.co.uk/ext/tssc/home.html
-
> I even added some bits for the 'Spitfire' section - it's only just started
and
> is a bit sparse but looks neat...

Very slow - but it looks like a great start.

Thanks for the help - Greg