Re: TR6 and other TR thermostats

To: Jeff Wagner <JWAGNER@jmail.umd.edu>
Subject: Re: TR6 and other TR thermostats
From: Bill Sohl Budd Lake <billsohl@planet.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 18:31:20 -400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Tue, 22 Aug 1995, Jeff Wagner wrote:

> Some time back there was a thread about thermostats and sleeves and
> bypasses around the thermostat.  The gist of it was that if you were
> supposed to have a sleeved thermostat and you didn't that your
> cooling system didn't work.  What I can't recall is which TR models
> this applied to.

It applied to the TR-2/3/4 series which has a small bypass hose as
a separate path for water to circulate through while the
thermostate is closed.  Once the thermostate opens, the
bypass hose (iff the thermostate has the sleeve) is blocked
off and the coolant is forced to route through the radiator.

> I went to replace my thermostat the other day and found that the
> housing looks like it's made for a long, cylindrical thermostat.  The
> one I got from the local lbc shop looks like just a basic thermostat.
> Further confusing the issue, the TRF book shows a long thermo but the
> Moss book shows the kind the lbc shop sold me.>
> My '72 TR6 gets really hot and I'm wondering if this might be the
> reason.  Any ideas?

Probably just a lot of accumulated stuff in the passages, radiator, etc.

Bill Sohl  K2UNK     (Budd lake, New Jersey)      (billsohl@planet.net)
VTR Assistant Magazine Editor, Past VTR President (1983-1990)