ignition light finale

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: ignition light finale
From: MORROW@udavxb.oca.udayton.edu
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 1995 18:54:34 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks to all for the info, here's what happened........
Checked the ignition light bulb, AOK.
Checked power to the center contact of the bulb socket, AOK.
Put bulb back in socket, NO LIGHT.
Apparently, when the alternator went out, whatever happened to it caused a
break in the ground to the ignition light socket, hence NO LIGHT.
When I put in a new alternator (the old one did indeed check out to be dead,
and the 45 Amp unit fit right in), plugged the socket in, reconnected the
battery and turned on the ignition switch, sure enough, the ignition light
glowed bright. Started the car, light went out, amp meter showed charge,
all is well. Only with a Lucas system could a dead alternator cause the very
light that is supposed to tell you that the alternator is dead to cease its
function altogether. But hey, we're all closet detectives or we wouldn't like
these cars so much, right????? Thanks again to all, hope I can help someone
sometime; this is a great news group.
Gary W. Morrow  ('72 TR-6)