alternator light

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator light
From: MORROW@udavxb.oca.udayton.edu
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 1995 09:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
Hello all, and thanks for the many useful responses to my question about
the TR-6 brakes/vacuum servo. Now to the matter at hand. Last Saturday
on the way home from the Dayton British Car Show (in a torrential downpour)
I noted that my alternator was apparently dead, as the amp gauge showed a
strong discharge (I turned off the headlamps and the discharge dropped
significantly). When we got home, I noticed that the red ignition light
no longer burned whether the key was on or off. So here is a dumb question;
should the ignition light go out with an alternator failure? I thought it
was the other way around, that the ignition light would burn red if the
alternator was turning but not putting out any current. Being more or less
ignorant regarding the more subtle features of Lucas systems, I am puzzled
about this. Does the lamp failure indicate some problem OTHER than the
alternator? Can this be checked somehow? Any help here would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.
Sincerely,
Gary W. Morrow ('72 TR-6)