Soaking parts in oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Soaking parts in oil
From: mike@twinpeaks.prc.com (Mike Ladwig)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 08:26:37 -0500
Cc: Killjoy@aol.com
>Now I would like to know if anyone can think of a reason NOT to do this with
>my SU carburettors?

No, I can't think of a reason not to do it.  There is, however, a cleaning
fluid designed especially for cleaning carbs - it dissolves
gasoline-specific buildups (probably the same chemical used in fuel
injector additives).  When I restored my Austin Healey, I had a pair of
carbs that had sat unused for 13 years and were the nastiest things you've
ever seen.  I filled a metal coffee can with the stuff, ploped a carb in,
left it for a few days, and when I removed it, it _literally_ looked like a
brand new part - inside and out.

I got this at a professional auto supply store; I can't remember the name
off the top of my head, but if you can't find such a product, I think I
have it written down at home.

mike.