Re: Spitfire rear trunion

To: J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk, woodruff@engin.umich.edu
Subject: Re: Spitfire rear trunion
From: "J.Daley" <J.Daley@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 10:28:19 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.NET
William,
>       I can't remember for sure (since my spit doesn't have em'
> anymore) but doesn't current net wisdom dictate heavy oil in the rear
> trunnions as well as the steering rack and front trunnions?  I know
> grease would have a pretty had time getting into that little roller
> bearing which rides on the axle.

I'm not sure about the rear trunnions.  The lubrication for the front
trunnion and steering rack are basically for screw threads, whilst the
rear trunnion (probably more correctly called the rear hub) lube point
is for the wheel bearings.  That might explain why grease is used at
the rear and oil for the front.

Anyone else ?

> BTW is it trunnion or trunion?

You'r right, it should have a double n, mea culpa.

Julian.
       | Julian Daley,                     j.daley@umds.ac.uk |
       | Department Clinical Physics, Guy's Hospital, London. |