Spitfire Clutch Replacement Story

To: ABailey106@aol.com, croned@reinet.com, british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Clutch Replacement Story
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 10:54:03 -0400
Tony--

I replaced the clutch in my 1500 twice now.  It turns out that if the clutch
release arm fulcrum pin is missing, the release bearing and arm misallign and
screw up the pressure plate.  Also, if the slave cyl is too far in (owner
method to compensate for the misalligned release arm) the screw-up effect is
compounded.  The second replacement was accomplished by NOT getting the trans
out of the car.

Instead I jacked the car way up at all 4 corners.  disconnected the stuff
necessary at the motor, yanked the radiator, unbolted the front motor mounts,
stacked some blocks under the pan and LOWERED the front of the car.  With the
motor (and trans) on the stack of wood, I demated the two (with support under
the trans) and slid the motor slightly forward (about 4 inches) and turned
the unit about 30 degrees to the side (rotating it on the stack of wood),
 enough to remove and replace the clutch.

This was all done with the hood (bonnet) on and the trans (and seats and
carpet) in the car.  It was not fast., but also did not mess up the interior,
nor necessitate a hoist.  It was purely a one man job.

I replaced the parts with quality Borg and Beck this time.  No more Quinten
Hazell.
Lets both hope our driving to wrenching time ratio is going to be better than
one to one.

Happy motoring.

Brian N.

79 Spirfire (chrome bumper retrofit) daily driver
59 Sprite
63 Consul Capri (rare)