Re: looking for Spitfire

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: looking for Spitfire
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 17:30:55 -0400
Bart Semeraro writes:
>1) I would like to know if there is a "best year" or "best model" of the
>Spitfire. By best I mean a particular model year that is relatively free
>of mechanical defects or one that has fewer inherent problems than other
>years.

I've always preferred the look of the "roundtail" Spits over the MkIV and
1500.
However, the later Spits benefit from the "swing spring" rear, which helped
improve stability in cornering and reduced the dreaded wheel jacking.
Though their power did suffer terribly from emissions controls.

Possibly the best is a '69 or '70 (1296 and "federal" dash) Spit which has
been fitted with the swing spring by a (not so D) PO.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) '68 & '69 Spits in bits