"No more 'ring around the piston' "?

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: "No more 'ring around the piston' "?
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 08:34:59 -0600
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Andrew Mace writes:

> Only one thing was strange: I have yet to find any evidence of the middle
> ring! And this brings me to my only real question at this point. Does anyone
> have any good ideas as to 1. where the middle ring went or 2. why it would
> not have been used when the engine was last assembled

Humm.  Well, I'll take a guess at this one...  Fewer rings mean less
friction on the cylinder walls.  Thus you get a little more power.  I
know that some racers use very light rings which they only get 4 or
less races out of.  They put new rings in after every 4th race!  They
claim (to me) that this produces more horsepower.

I'd check another piston.  If you find a missing ring on the other
pistons, you've found a PO modification!  Personally, I'd put the two
compression rings on rather than the one.  :-)

Let us know what you find!

-Scotty "checking the return address before reponding" Paisley