Re: let's get rolling

To: Dave Garron <bugeye@neca.com>
Subject: Re: let's get rolling
From: Bill Sohl Budd Lake <billsohl@planet.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 1995 23:49:03 -400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Sat, 1 Jul 1995, Dave Garron wrote:

> Now that I have my Toadster running, I'll be able to dedicate time (lots
> needed) to rehabilitating my TR3A.  First step: get it into my garage.
> First problem: one of the rear brakes is locked up, and the drum won't
> come off.  First thought: just cut the old drum off, free the shoes, and
> put a new drum on.  First discovery:  Moss/TRF/VB don't list 10" drums!
>
> There must be someone out there who's run into a similar situation with
> an earlier TR3A.  Are there any sources of 10" brake drums out there?
> Or does everyone follow the manufacturer's lead and convert to 9"?  If so,
> what's the best way?  Or (preferred) does anyone have a surefired way to
> free up the brakes?  The car has been outside for a _long_ time, so it's
> possible the return springs have turned to dust.

Is the rear wheel actually "locked up" because of the frozen brake?

If the wheel turns at all, try the following:

1. Soak the brake adjuster with lots of WD40 for a few days.  Then
try to "adjust" the brake adjustment in the direction that would loosen
or lessen the brake adjustment.  Then try some good old pounding of
the drum with a hammer, etc to try loosening ythings up.

Keep us posted.

Cheers and happy Fourth of July to all (hope that doesn't offend any
of you folks across the pond:-)
Bill Sohl  K2UNK     (Budd lake, New Jersey)      (billsohl@planet.net)