TR6 Prices

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Prices
From: "Himelfarb, Mike" <mike@sdm.ShoppersDrugMart.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 05:49:42 -0400
Encoding: 1666 Text
Just to follow on the 'price' thread, I spent the better part of two
summers looking for a rust-free, mechanically sound TR6 for $5,000
which, I hoped, I wouldn't have to invest major dollars into for a
couple of years.  What I eventually purchased was a '76 for $5,000
which looked ok and had the following done since 1990:

Rebuilt engine - 1990
Rebuilt tranny -1990
New clutch - 1990
Door skins and rear quarter panels - 1991
New frame from seats forward - 1991
New floor - 1991
New paint - 1992

It cost me another $1,200 to get it on the road (new front suspension,
heater blower motor, horns, exhaust, diff mounts), so $6,200
driveable.

That left me to re-do the ratty interior, fix some minor rust (which
turned into major rust when I pulled the windscreen frame) and
re-paint those spots, new tires and rear springs and a few other
things.  The winter's work ran me another $2,500 in parts.  So, for
about $9,000 I have a car which is rust-free, sparkling interior (when
I finish re-assembling it), reasonable paint for another 2-3 years,
mechanically strong.  I think I've done ok considering I use it for my
daily driver in the summer.

All that came from my $5,000 driveable car!  Granted, there's about
$1,000 worth of parts which weren't absolutely necessary but I felt
better having replaced them.

*  Mike Himelfarb - '76 TR6  |  "When all else fails, use a hammer..."   *
*  Mike@ShoppersDrugMart.CA  |                                 Taylor    *