Tires for TR6...& TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires for TR6...& TR4A
From: Bob.Wilson@dssc.slg.eds.com (Bob Wilson)
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 16:55:58 -0500
Hi gang,

  I just subscribed to this list so pardon me if these questions
have already been answered.  My two questions follow:

1) I own a '74 TR6 with Michelin "Red Lines" on it.  I've got quite a
bit of tread left on them but looking at the replacement prices through
The Roadster Factory, I'm interested in storing them and wearing out
something else.  So given that I have the original wheels on the car
what size tires should I buy?  One of the guys in the Red River Triumph
Club runs 195/70R15 Eagle GTs but says the speedometer is off by 3% and
that 205/70R15s should be the proper tire size.  My friendly neighborhood
Western Auto Tire Salesman, Aaron, says that I've got 4.5" width rims
standard on my car and that I shouldn't go beyond a 185 size tire.
Is he right?

2) Slowly making it's way to me from VA is a '67 TR4A.  I haven't seen
the tires so I don't know whats already on the car.  But should it need
new tires, are the tires I buy for the TR6 the same ones I'd buy for the
TR4A?  Again is it based on the 4.5" rim size?  Are the rim sizes the
same between the 4A and the 6?

Well I guess it really was more than two questions.  Any suggestions
are appreciated.

Bob
Bob.Wilson@dssc.slg.eds.com