Re: Need longer wheel studs for my TR4A

To: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Subject: Re: Need longer wheel studs for my TR4A
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 17:07:32 -0700 "Re: Need longer wheel studs for my TR4A" (May 18, 4:47pm)
 > I know that the TR6 rear wheel studs are longer than the fronts; chances are
 > that those are all the same part number

 Front wheel studs are p/n 114281 for wire wheels, 114282 for disc wheels
 Rear wheel studs are  p/n 142799 for wire wheels, 132317 for disc wheels

Same as for the 250 (which catalog I have at work), so it's probably the same
for the 4A (which I don't).

 I'll be hornswoggled.  I didn't know they were different!

Yup. I learned this when upgrading the GT6 - the knurled base circle is the
same size as for the TRs, but the diameter is 7/16 instead of the piddly 3/8
that the Spits and GT6s came with. It makes sense - the rear studs have to go
through the added thickness of the brake drum.

[I highly recommend this upgrade, by the way. Note that the base diameter of
the TR studs is larger and will want to be ground/cut down to seat properly in
the hub.]

If you try to install the longer studs in front, you may have to slightly grind
one edge of the base of the stud to get it to fit behind the top hat without
disassembling the whole front hub assembly.