Re: Re:pulling Trannies (floating crank)

To: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Subject: Re: Re:pulling Trannies (floating crank)
From: davcla@ix.netcom.com (David Clark)
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 21:30:53 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>hi, david
>what's the "floating crank" thing- the throwout fork thing has been
seen on
>this list recently, but floating crank?
>joe

Hi All,

The term floating crank, And I think I recall The term from a previous
periodical put out by TRF or Moss, is used to describe  excesive end
play in the crankshaft .  In Other Words, you have probably tossed you
thrust washers. A rather depressing event, especially when you only
have 50k on the car/engine, good compression, bla, bla, bla.

When I talked to tech at TRF, They indicated that is was a quite common
ailment in the LBC.  They said that the thrust washer  (which is 2
pieces would usually start to spin on the rear main bearing and wera
out a grove large enough so that it would eventially 'spin out'.  And
By that time the only really thing you could to was yank the engine,
rebore the main bearing and install oversized thrust washers.  Although
in my case, it had worn the Crank down pretty badly.

According to them, a remedy or actually a prevention for this is to
drill a small hole in the thrust washer through to rear bearing cap and
insert a small spring pin there to keep it from spinning. Be that the
pin is slightly recessed so not to scribe the crank.  I think I recall
them saying that this is something they do when they perform a rebuild.

As to the validity to the above, Beats me. I think I am visualising it
correctly, althought I am hesitand to try it myselfdo to the fact that
I have installed a decent 'powerplant' (is that an oxymoron?) and hate
to risk screwing it up.

has anyone heard the same?

David Clark