Re: TR6 - Valve setting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 - Valve setting
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 15:29:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 11 May 1995, Peter J Barrance wrote:

> Hello everyone -
>

> 1.    How exact do you have to be about turning the motor to the exact point
> on the cam where two of the valve springs are fully compressed?

Close is nice, but exact is not critical.  If you are off a few degrees
the valves you set will be slightly loose, not a bad thing.  The "valve
closed" section of the cam is probably very "flat" (constant radius) at
this point.

> 2.    What's the best way to set this point accurately? I was turning it on
> the starter to get to the rough position, then tugging on the fanbelt and
> twisting the water pump - but found it awfully tough to look carefully at the
> valve-springs while doing this. I couldn't figure out anyway to lever the
> crankshaft pulley round directly.

It may sound backwards, but it's easier to move the car than to play with
the fan belt, etc.

Take the spark plugs out if you don't want to fight compression.  Put the
car in a HIGH gear, on level ground.  Take the parking brake off! <g>.
Then you can push/pull on the car while watching the rockers.  On my cars
you can get all the valves to do their thing within about a car-length,
while in 4th gear.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Fourth Law of Thermodynamics:
  If the probability of success is not almost one,
  then it is damned near zero."