RE: TR3 speedo and fuel guage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 speedo and fuel guage
From: RJANUS@wpo.crd.gov.bc.ca
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 10:09 -0700 (PDT)
Registered-mail-reply-requested-by: RJANUS@wpo.crd.gov.bc.ca
A felllow netter asked:

Could anyone advise me on how to get my TR3 speedometer to read
accurately
and steadily?

(snip, snip)

 still flickers in a 20-30 mph range and generally reads 20-40
mph over what it should, based on the tach reading.

(snip, snip)

Al:
Since you mention the word "flickering", I would check to see if your
newish cable hasn't in fact broken and is mearly "winding up" as it spins
and then lets go every time the spring pressure gets too much.  This
happened on my buddies TR3 and took us FOREVER to finally figure out.

Also, I have a problem with my fuel gauge or sending unit, don't know
which.
When the tank is full, the fuel gauge reads only 1/4 full.  Before I put the
car in storage for 16 years, it worked fine.  Now after restoration two
years
ago, it doesn't.  Can't figure.  Can the gauge be calibrated?  Should I try
to do it?  Or is the problem with the sending unit?  Can the sending unit
be
calibrated or adjusted?  Maybe I got the wiring wrong - any ideas?

Al McClure

Daily driver - 1960 TR3A

Al:

This definately sounds like your sending unit is partially sunk.  probably
corroded a whole in it while it was stored.  I've heard of people fixing
this though....  only way to tell is to pull it out.  Sorry!
Rob