tr3 speedo and fuel gauges

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tr3 speedo and fuel gauges
From: Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 95 08:59:54 EDT
Hello all!

Could anyone advise me on how to get my TR3 speedometer to read accurately
and steadily?  I've taken this thing apart a dozen times, cleaned it
thoroughly and made sure all moving parts worked freely.  But no matter what
I do, the thing still flickers in a 20-30 mph range and generally reads 20-40
mph over what it should, based on the tach reading.  I keep re-setting the
needle position but it doesn't do any good.  I replaced the cable
last year so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.  I'm trying to avoid
sending the unit to a rebuiling shop like Nisonger to save a few bucks.  But
maybe there's internal parts that generally need replacing - anyone know?
I do have a TR4 tranny but I don't think that should make a difference, or
should it?

Also, I have a problem with my fuel gauge or sending unit, don't know which.
When the tank is full, the fuel gauge reads only 1/4 full.  Before I put the
car in storage for 16 years, it worked fine.  Now after restoration two years
ago, it doesn't.  Can't figure.  Can the gauge be calibrated?  Should I try
to do it?  Or is the problem with the sending unit?  Can the sending unit be
calibrated or adjusted?  Maybe I got the wiring wrong - any ideas?

Al McClure

Daily driver - 1960 TR3A