Crying Engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Crying Engine
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Mon, 8 May 1995 09:41:49 -0400
Worldly Scions,

I was running the engine in the Grape on saturday, trying to balance
the carbs, when I noticed to my abject horror oil weeping from the
vicinity of the head gasket. The head is dry, but the block is oil
covered. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am planning on picking
up a new head gasket tomorrow, but what could cause this problem?

The only thing that I have done to the engine was to remove it from
the car so that I could replace the pilot bushing and re-attach the
transmission. Surely hanging the engine from the lifting points
wouldn't have caused anything like this. Maybe I have a case of the
mysterious breaking head bolts like Barry Fox.

Thanks

Doug Mitchell