Spitfire Compression

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Compression
From: daveejay@peak.org (David Mastenbrook)
Date: Sun, 7 May 1995 22:52:49 -0700
I recently checked compression on a '74 Spitfire that I have begun rebuilding.
Although it looks fairly goog, I'm not sure what a "healthy" 1500cc Spitfire
engine should have.

My results were: #1 130
                 #2 128
                 #3 130
                 #4 125

Does anyone have an opinion on these measurements? Are they close to what good
compression should be for a 1500cc engine in a 1974 Spitfire?

Also, I did a tune up on the engine and set the timing to the 2 degrees ATDC
that my Haynes manual (and the decal under the hood... err, I mean bonnet)
and the engine doesn't run as well at an idle. The timing was previously more
like 8 degrees BTDC. Is my timing info wrong?

When I set the timing to 2 degrees ATDC it was with the vacuum line to the
distributor disconnected and plugged off. Hopefully I was correct in doing
so. Any suggestions?

That's enough questions for now.
Thanks for any help,
Dave (daveejay@PEAK.ORG)