Rebushing strombergs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rebushing strombergs
From: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 10:07:40 -0400
I understand the process of rebusing Stromberg throttle shaft holes in the
carburettor body.  I've seen several sets that were amazingly worn out.

I'm looking at a set I'm rebuilding (175 CD), and they don't seem to terribly
bad.  They wiggle just a tiny bit, but there is no ridge on the shaft itself
where it would show wear.

I'm wondering about the choke shaft actually.  This one does seem quite
loose.  I don't have any doubts at all that there could be air leakage around
this area.  My question is, is there enough of a vacuum at this point to
cause air leakage and mess with proper idling?  I mean, it is just down
stream from the air filters for goodness sake.  How much air could be leaking
past and would it matter?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, by the way, does anyone have any special techniques or magical stuff to
shine up the outside of the carb?  I'm going to all this effort, it'd be nice
to have really shinny carbs.