Re: Wheels and Parts list mis...

To: TR4guyinVA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wheels and Parts list mis...
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:11:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 28 Apr 1995 TR4guyinVA@aol.com wrote:

> What about the reported straightening of steel wheels?  $15 apiece sounded
> good to me. (Sorry, I deleted the original post that I'm refering to)  Sounds
> a lot like fiction too, but good fiction.  Where in the heck would I check
> around to find something like this?

This is not fiction.  When I lived in Phoenix, I had a set of wheels
straightened.  When I initially tried to have them balanced, the
technician said that all four had so much wobble that he couldn't get
them close to being in balance.  He gave me a pointer to some guy that
could straighten them.  It turned out to be a guy with a frame and wheel
shop in his backyard.  He had an alignment rack under a lean-to and a
modified hydrolic press that he used for straightening wheels.  It
consisted of a homemade clamp to hold the center of the wheel, and
inserts to fit various rims.  It was actually a pretty slick setup.

As far as where to check for this service, ask around at tire shops.  As
I recall, this guy in Phoenix was not in the Yellow Pages so I never would
have found him without the pointer from the balancing tech.

> I know, it's a pipe dream.  Start saving for those Panasports.

Well, if you're looking for an excuse for buying panasports, forget I
mentioned this!

Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu

ps.  I think he did the straightening for $5 or $6 a wheel!  It took him
about 20 minutes total.