Help identifying Spitfire year model

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help identifying Spitfire year model
From: rmedia@IslandNet.com (Wes Burian)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 10:43 PDT
I took my car in to get some work done yesterday and I have discovered that
perhaps my car is not what I thought it was.

We did some electrical work and ordered some parts for the distributor and
none of them fit. I have a Spitfire 1500, supposedly an 80. The body is
definitely a Spitfire 1500. (One clue for people may be that it has rubber
wrap-around bumpers, not chrome. Is that Californian?). The VIN is
TFLDW2AT006518. _However_, here is the problem. It is NOT electronic
ignition. The distributer is manual contact-breaker. The car has a
catalytic convertor (Californian?) but I don't even know if it's a 1500
engine any more. The number on the block is FM134050UE. So I don't know
what to set the timing at. It was 10 ATDC and I set it at 10 BTDC b/c
that's what I think a N. American 1500 should be. My compression is only
110, and that's low.

So, has someone changed the distributer on me? It's still Lucas. (great, eh?)

Thanks for the info, you experts. I can provide more specific information
if you know what questions to ask.

Wes

rmedia@islandnet.com    Reality Media, Victoria, B.C., Canada

   REALITY CHECK is at http://www.islandnet.com/~rmedia
    Hey, it's useless right now, but go see it anyways!