Whirring noise in neutral from TR6 Gearbox

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Whirring noise in neutral from TR6 Gearbox
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:10:19 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ken,

 > What I'm considering doing is finding an OD tranny, OD, OD-length
 > driveshaft, OD electrics, and OD switch for the steering column to
 > retro-fit OD into my TR6. I know this is a Frequently-Asked-Question,

Find an OD trans for a TR6 is a chore.  But if you look long and hard,
I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.  Expect to pay around $500
for a used one, not rebuilt.  A Rebuilt OD trans will run $1000.
Also, try to find the J-type overdrive with trans not the A-type.  The
A-types are nice, and they work in 2-3-4 as opposed to the just 3-4
but the J-types are supposed to be more "bullet proof".  Of course, I
would put which everone belongs to your year car, in your case, the
J-type.

I found mine from a used TR parts dealer, and met him at a meet to
exchange bucks for parts.  It worked for about 2 years, then needed a
rebuilt as the layshaft said... "CRUNCH!"

Be sure you get all the electrics, and an ANGLE drive for the speedo
cable.  The angle drives and run quite a bit ($50) if you purchase
separate.

You can add the overdrive to your current trans, but it requires
several internal and external changes which I'm not familar with.  I
do know that it it's quite a task and not straight forward.  (for me
at least.  :-)

Along with the complete trans, be sure you buy (or get with):

. angle drive
. new speedo cable.  (The old one my work, but I think they are
                      different lengths, not sure...)
. The switch and electics, and the small wiring harness that should be
  with the trans.

You old drive shaft will work, as it has a sliding joint to make it
the proper size.  While you are doing all this work you might also
want to:

 . replace the u-joints in the drive shaft if you suspect them.
 . install a new clutch, pressure place and throw-out bearing.
   Actually, DO install the throw-out bearing at any rate.  These are
   known to be short lived on the TR6, as they never release from the
   pressure plate, and spin thier entire life!

Here's what you'll need to do to fit the OD to your stock TR6.

1) remove old tranny. (Can be done in less than 1 hour! :-)
2) Move the tranny mount to the rear position.
   There are six holes in where this plate mounts to the frame.  You
   can simply remove four bolts which attach this plate, slide the
   plate to the rear position, and presto, your OD trans will now fit.
   Install the bolts.
3) Install the O/D trans, prefilled with oil.  Do not connect the
   drive shaft yet.
4) Attact the wires.  (You'll need to find a +12 volt source for the
   o/d switch.  There was an unused bullet connector which I had under
   my dash which worked perfectly.  Not sure if this will be the case
   on your car, as that was probably for something else not installed
   in my car.
5) Place the trans in neutral, start the car.
6) You should be able to shift through the gears, to make sure you
   don't hear any nasty sounds.  While in third, flip your OD switch
   to see if the output flange will slow down.  You should be able to
   see this.  Try this in fourth gear as well.  Note that the OD will
   not work in first and second, as there is a switch on the trans
   which prevents this from happening.  Test reverse, and have an
   assistant make sure you have reverse lights.
   You should also note that the TR6 trans will be somewhat noisy
   while the tunnel cover is removed.  This is normal.  Just be sure
   there isn't any LOUD grinding or crunching.
7) Once you get everything working, assembly is reverse of
   disassembly. :-)

My car is a '75 but everything should be identical on yours.  I did
the conversion several years ago, so I may have forgotten something.
(Gee, is that a CYA statement or what!?!  :-)

Cheers, and good luck!

-Scotty