Re: Zenith Stromberg Carb

To: "Anthony Bailey" <abailey@jax.jaxnet.com>, "British Cars Posting" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "Triumphs Posting" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Zenith Stromberg Carb
From: "Scott Cypher" <scott_cypher@perform.vt.edu>
Date: 9 Apr 1995 20:26:26 -0500
                      RE>Zenith Stromberg Carb                     4/9/95

How do you evaluate "too rich"?
1) yellow colortune?
2) Great big globs of black smoke out the tail pipe?
3) Nasty Backfiring on high engine braking with sparks and smoke?
4) Gas is a liquid, not a gas, as it exits the tailpipe?

What to think about:
1) Progressively set the float lower and lower.
I've found that the Haynes #s for float settings haven't worked for me, I have
to set them lower than the book specs out.
3) Electric fuel pump?
with steadier and higher fuel pressures, I wonder whether thats a root cause of
our problems.  I've tried flow regulators (Purolator Proformance Pro-Fuel Fuel
regulator).
Notice, the title doesn't say pressure regulator, which is what you need for a
electric pump.  This product is a flow regulator, metering from over a gallon a
minute with my current pump down to a gallon in 2 (field tested data).  Other
than an M1-A Abrahms tank, I don't anything that sucks fuel at this rate.
Think about it.  If your carb could needed this amount of flow, how long would
a 10 gal tank of gas last? About 10-20 minutes, tops.  You try drinking from a
water faucet at full blast w/o spilling some.