Re: [Tigers] Filling the rack

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Filling the rack
From: Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 09:18:33 -0700

--------------925C0F51E5C670C02B719C4F

There has been a lot of good advise regarding refilling the rack and
ensuring that the amount added meets the volume stated in the manual.
But, short of removing a boot and tilting the car for a lengthy time
there really is no way of knowing when the fluid is replenished there
isn't residual and the rack may be getting overfilled.

Perhaps another point that could be part of this discussion is why the
rack needs to have fluid added. Leaking boots are an obvious point but
the rack end caps where they go over the tube are another source. I
recall the Shop Notes... (where are mine???) had a discussion about
that.As I stated in a previous post my rack was gone thru and 20 years
later with no use there is an accumulation of gear oil on the
crossmember. It isn't where you can see it dripping but it must leak in
the smallest amount.?? Has anyone come up with a good solution for the
end caps?

--------------925C0F51E5C670C02B719C4F

  <head>
  </head>
        refilling the rack and ensuring that the amount added meets the
        volume stated in the manual. But, short of removing a boot and
        tilting the car for a lengthy time there really is no way of
        knowing when the fluid is replenished there isn't residual and
        the rack may be getting overfilled.</font></p>
        this discussion is why the rack needs to have fluid added.
        Leaking boots are an obvious point but the rack end caps where
        they go over the tube are another source. I recall the Shop
        Notes... (where are mine???) had a discussion about that.As I
        stated in a previous post my rack was gone thru and 20 years
        later with no use there is an accumulation of gear oil on the
        crossmember. It isn't where you can see it dripping but it must
        leak in the smallest amount.?? Has anyone come up with a good
        solution for the end caps? </font><br>

--------------925C0F51E5C670C02B719C4F--

--===============8925804178414480861==