Re: [Tigers] Relays, ignition switch and starter solenoid

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Relays, ignition switch and starter solenoid
From: steve wick <srwick@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 20:38:56 -0700
You shouldn't need a relay for the starter solenoid. It is in fact, a relay
itself. For cleaning the inside of female connectors, use electrical contact
cleaner. You should be able to get it at most auto parts stores, Radio Shack,
or other similar electrical parts houses. It's a spray in a can like carb or
brake cleaner. One thing to keep in mind is that a digital ohmmeter uses very
low current to measure resistance. A single strand of an almost completely
broken wire will show less than an ohm of resistance. Once you apply power to
a low resistance load, like a solenoid, the resistance of the wire and
connections could increase to the point that the voltage drops at the starter
solenoid. All those bad connections or broken strands of wire become loads
themselves, taking away from the device you're trying to power. To find the
problem connection, disconnect the cable to the starter and the coil so the
car won't start, and then have someone hold the key in the "start" position.
Measure the voltage at each connection in the circuit to the solenoid and note
where the voltage drops.

Steve

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/srwick@hotmail.com