Re: rebuilding 1A htr valves

To: "Rande Bellman" <rande@thecia.net>,
Subject: Re: rebuilding 1A htr valves
From: "Ken Ritacco" <ritacco0758@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 11:20:08 -0400
Hello all, I had a brand new MK1A  heater valve on my car when I purchased
it. I took it off for and replaced it with a different setup for four
reasons;

First , I knew there is no source for a new one if it started leaking and I
wanted to save it to make the car concourse if  I desired to in the future.
Second, because the valve is on the wrong side of the system and allows heat
into the car even if the valve is off  I wanted a way to totally isolate the
heater core and keep the cockpit cool in the summer.
 Third, my car was running hot last summer so I ,replaced the radiator with
a modern 4 core design, blocked under the radiator to keep the air moving in
the right direction, blocked my horn holes and installed a durale fan. I am
running a 113psi rad. cap and wanted the option of going to a 21 lb in the
summer if need be. I am not worried about the radiator handling the presure
but was concerned about the heater core. To do this I knew I needed to
isolated the core.With the cooling system modifications my car is running at
180 degrees, so it dosesn't look like I'll need the 21 lb. cap after all.
And fourth, I wanted a cleaner engine compartment look.

What I came up with was two $3.00 ball valves purchased at Lowes. I
installed one on the input side and one on the return side both along the
intake manifold. I modified the shut off arms to be very low profile.I
tucked the heater control cable up under the dash to get it out of the
engine bay. I could even use the stock hoses, the only modification was to
cut the inlet side about mid valve cover to install the ball valve on that
side. The stock return side hoses were the correct length.
 This setup is working great. I can isolate the heater system when I want
to, keeps inside the car very comfortable, and if I want to, I can turn on
my heat for New England early spring or fall driving.
This setup took my a couple of hours to install and I can return it to the
stock setup  in no time at all.
If anyone is interested in pictures and parts list let me know.

Ken Ritacco
Mk1a 382001158