Re: Hyundai Tiburon Seats

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hyundai Tiburon Seats
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:54:33 -0700
Tym,
  I am not using the Tiberon seats, but I have already purchase a set of
Mitsubishi Eclipse seats ($15.95 each at the local Pick A Part). The three
issues that I found are:
1. Seat width to fit and not hit the door and driveshaft tunnel. There is a
bit of door curvature at the top.
2. Thickness of the seat back. From the side view the Eclipse seats are
probably average to slightly smaller than average in seat back thickness,
but they are still approaching the "Bark-O-Lounger" look in the diminutive
Tiger. The Tiger seats have a very thin appearance in the seat backs.
3. Seat track mounting. Most likely you will have to sacrifice the ability
to tilt the seat forward. I have yet to venture into my seat mounting, but I
will not just drill holes in the floor where needed. I will be using some
type of adapter plates or weld mounting tabs on the Eclipse seats and use
the original mounting locations. Step back from the front of the car and
observe that the seats are set straight. Nothing screams kludge more than
seats that look like chairs with broken legs.

 Don't throw out your original seats. As time goes on original parts will
become harder to find and the value of originality will go up. My only
reason for the Eclipse seats is that what else can I buy for $35 that is in
excellent shape, very adjustable and comfortable. Not a set of seat covers
for for the original seats, that's for sure. I would also recommend if the
Tiberon has any interior accents that match the seats to get them too. There
were a number of seat matching, "shaped," door insert panels on the Eclipse
that I will incorporate into the interior when I get around to it.
Tom Witt B9470101