Re: PCV systems

To: Nathan Johnson <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: PCV systems
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:30:17 -0700
Nathan,

Regardless of the reputation of most smog control devices, the PCV is
not only innocuous, but actually beneficial in purging your sump of
corrosive fumes, as well as your engine compartment and firewall leaks
to your passenger compartment.

Plugging it will cause harm, not good, as you do not have a free
breathing oil cap to let the crankcase fumes fill your engine
compartment and passenger compartment, and your crankcase will be
pressurized with by-passed combustion product fumes, before blowing your
seals out.

Not familiar enough with the 4160 to comment on why it appears to have
taller choke towers than normal.  Might try putting it alongside an 1848
or 1850 (465/600 CFM) and observe difference.  Shouldn't be, unless your
replacement air filter is shorter than normal.  Suggest the K&N
(http://www.knfilters.com/) replacement Part# E-2859.

good luck,

Steve

--