Re: OT Tiger Fan NOT LAT

To: David or Gary <wwwdg@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: OT Tiger Fan NOT LAT
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:44:25 -0700
David,

I am afraid the "orr4sale" eBay offered of this 6 Blade fan is
unfamiliar with LAT options, or Alpines for that matter.

This blade is definitely not acceptable for Alpine use (or needed), as
the Alpine did not use Ford mounting holes, or have a 1" center hole
caused by putting the Ford V-8 hub on the water pump backwards, to allow
more fan clearance to the radiator.

Just to top the whole thing off, the LAT 42 (or LAT 32, if Norman
Miller's notes on clerical error are applied) is a COMPLETELY different
fan (See "TBON", P. 85)  THIS IS NOT A LAT FAN!!!!!!, (but a good one)

The fan being offered appears to be the Ford asymmetric 6 blade with
aluminum blades that was made in a Canadian Ford parts factory.  It IS
widely used, successfully, on many Tigers.  That center hub hole should
be accurately machined in the exact center as it is the element that
allows the fan to be centered and balanced.  Mine was done on a vertical
mill, and cost me $50 at the Ford Dealer.   Probably the last one in
California. The part number is C9DZ-8600A for cross referencing at bone
yards, and probably is from an AC 4 or 6 Cyl Ford.

When first custom installed the motor mounts had spacer washers on them,
and the engine was raised some.  The mechanic removed them on later
replacement as they did not belong there.  The fan had already machine
been custom fit, center hole milled, blades cut to length, and ran just
fine.  I can absolutely verify that the blades ARE too long, and will
hit the steering rack, as a strange noise was occasionally heard from
under the hood on acceleration.

Only later did I find that the blades were now too long (due to the
lowering of the engine to stock position), making the blade trim
inadequate, and allowing the blade tips to scrape the rack on engine
acceleration torque rock.  By the time I had figured this out, the
blades had "self-machined" themselves to have adequate clearance, and a
little dress-up fillling was all that was required.

But remember, this was AFTER about 1/4 inch had been removed. (Not exact
number).

Some learn the easy way, others take a little more convincing.  < 8 - (

Steve

David or Gary wrote:

>Thought this LAT 42 type Tiger fan on eBay might be of interest to
>someone.
>David
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2472954599

-----